Friday 30 May 2014

AFRICAN FASHION WEEK NIGERIA - KING HAKBAL

Africa fashion week Nigeria Gala night took place at the Eko hotel and suites on May 18th 2014. There was a smorgasbord of designers showing their innovative designs on the runway so there was lots to see and enjoy and for me, I loved taking photographs. I learnt that in Nigeria as a runway photographer, you have to be slightly aggressive because all the rougher guys will stylishly edge you out of the vantage points till you find yourself in some awkward spot with bad lighting and poor angles. I did try my best not to get edged out but guys I have to admit, it was a battle. While a lot of designers did their best, there were quite a number that caught my interest.
KING HAKBAL

I'm going to start with menswear - K I N G   H A K B A L.

 I know this guy's design from his instagram and I have seen people wear his stuff so it's safe to say I was an observer from afar. when I saw his name on the run through, I was a little eager to see what he had in store.

 King Hakbal gave a presentation and a half; he started with a small group of traditional drummers singing and dancing as the models came down the runway. It was a refreshing change to the normal runway music we had heard all evening long and I quickly knew we were in for a different sort of treat. Now anyone who knows me knows I have a distinct thing for menswear and this man did not leave me feeling disappointed.

 From traditional outfits complete with expertly embroidered caps to dashing suits accentuated by boutonnieres, King Hakbal certainly built the anticipation to a climactic peak bolstered by the dramatic orchestra theme song from coming to America! I have to be honest, by the end, I wanted to jump on my chair and declare him WINNER!!! but I quickly remembered it wasn't a competition lol. I don't even think it had much to do with the clothes anymore, just the atmosphere was electrifying. Needless to say, the presentation brought some much needed life into the typical hum-drum tempo of a fashion show. Please enjoy the shots .....





























No comments:

Post a Comment