Wednesday 8 October 2014

Genevieve Nnaji + Jumia present PHILOMENA!

A few days ago at the Social Place, Victoria Island, Genevieve Nnaji unveiled a capsule collection in collaboration with Jumia for her StGenevieve clothing line. The giant online retailer had been in talks with "Africa's Julia Roberts" for about a year to produce this affordable yet stylish collection aptly named PHILOMENA after her grandmother.


 
 


The invite only event had pretty much everyone who was anyone in fashion and media in attendance from Supermodel Oluchi, Genevieve magazine publisher Betty Irabor to designers like Mai Atafo and make up guru Lola Maja( and her amazing head of hair! I love it. reminds me of a Halo).

The collection is made up of about 8 looks in total, all wearable and very chic and clean. simply put, it is uncomplicated without all the trappings of over designing that tends to happen when celebrities venture into fashion. Genevieve stressed that the collection was not made to be out of the reach of her core fans with prices ranging from 4,000 to 7,500 naira. During one of the many interviews she gave, she made it clear that she was afterall "a product of the masses " therefore her collection has to be accessible to them!
 

Genevieve and her party of three arrived the venue in her jet black Mercedes SUV and naturally, everyone got into a frenzy; she arrived in the company of her manager Vanessa Amadi and close friend Oluchi.
 

She looked refreshed and ready to play hostess and I was quite surprised to find out that she had been at the venue all morning and just ducked out to go home, get glammed up and make her entrance. She arrived in a St Genevieve original; a lovely cobalt blue dress with zipper detail on the shoulders.
As the evening wore on, she changed into other pieces from the collection three times and each outfit was well put together.

There was an exclusive preview of the TV commercial for the collection featuring Tosin, the head of Jumia's Womenswear collection modeling the looks alongside Genevieve.
All in all, it was a great event with lots of beautiful people hobnobbing and surprisingly not acting too "famous" (trust me, they can be very...........interesting to watch when they get into the zone)

As usual there was some slight shoving when Genevieve was giving her speech. But since I'm now the wiser, I scouted for the best spot right in front of Genny with the least number of people standing, and started snapping away. TILL.... some big man from a particular TV network materialized out of nowhere and shoved me out of the way with his giant tripod and camera!

At first I was like "No he di - inn" I even had that look on my face while I stared him down but he didn't even look my way. I had to say excuse me and then he grunted an inaudible sorry. sigh.....I'm telling you, it's not easy being a tiny photographer  at these events without all the "effizy" (I have another post on the unnecessary effizy of photographers coming up shortly).

Pls enjoy the pictures below!



 
Oluchi

 
 
Genevieve magazine publisher Betty Irabor
 
 
 
Deola of Omogemura


 
Funmi from Jumia in head to St Genevieve top and bottom

 
Deola and Mai Atafo

 
Love the lapel pin on Mai's jacket

 
Tosin (Head of Womenswear at Jumia)

 
Stephanie Linus


 
Sony Irabor

 
Ezinne of beauty in Lagos
 
 
Jonathan from Jumia

 
 




 
Genevieve teared up a little when her dad came on screen during a surprise interview package from the Jumia Team
 
 
Models wearing StGenevieve


 
 
 
 
Let me just say this! The food at this event was unbelievable! I think Genny and Jumia wanted everyone to be fat and well hydrated because the food just kept coming and coming. Annoyingly enough, I had just had some amazing rice and giz-dodo(heaven) before coming because I don't like reaching for the food at these things(one must comport) My friends said the rice and asun(goat meat) was awesome but I just couldn't eat any. However, the drinks and I made such good friends. There was chapman, white wine, red wine, daiquiris, cosmos and the Moscato was just yummy, ELIXR sponsored the drinks for the event. Great choice!




 
These cupcakes were so delish! it's hard to find that good good cream cheese frosting on cupcakes in Lagos but this one hit the spot!

 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
 







1 comment:

  1. Hello Bunmi,

    This is Olamide PR Manager Jumia Nigeria. Great pictures. I am still waiting for that mail :)

    ReplyDelete