Thursday 30 October 2014

DAY 1 - GTB LAGOS FASHION AND DESIGN WEEK 2014!

                                                                 L    F    D   W     2   0  1  4!!!



Its 11:08pm, I just got home, had a small bite and I am now seated at my computer. I am exhausted and slightly dehydrated …….but who cares!! It’s fashion week!

Today the 29th kicked off the 2014 GTB sponsored Lagos fashion and design week! It’s a four day affair featuring amazing designers showing their latest collection with all the cool kids of fashion and respected heads in every area of lifestyle in attendance.

Being the first day it’s usually expected to be a bit hum drum but I was not disappointed! I had visited the venue a day before and was able to see the runway as it was being put together so I knew it was going to be a great show.

People turned up looking quite tamed today i.e. nothing too outrageous or overtly attention seeking and most were very happy to be photographed. Sometimes they aren’t which makes me wonder why you would dress up to the nines to go to a media event and be dodging the cameras. Sigh

A quick visit to see the shenanigans and madness of the backstage was exactly that- M A D N E S S, as I met a lot of people and bumped into old friends. I also met the delightfully rambunctious  Obi Somto who after making polite small talk proceeded to lift me high up in the air. Why you may ask? Because I look “liftable” or something like that, he said. The perils of being small at this job are quite many; maybe I need to become really fat and thereby “unliftable”.  Obi is sooo energetic it’s crazy….he’s like an energizer bunny that swallowed another energizer bunny if that were possible.

Backstage was insane as expected; steamers on garments, a sea of shoes, a crazy busy make up stand by Maybelline and ofcorse the awesome Lola Maja of sacred beauty was doing her thing for Maybelline. She had her hair in gold braids…..I miss that pink and platinum blonde hair of hers…….like a hallo.

Off to my favorite part; 


R U N W  A  Y!!!

Believe it or not, I feel most at home at the end of the runway so as usual, me and the photogs crammed down, shuffled for space, bitched a bit about the lighting and started snapping away. 1,046 frames and 2 hours later, the show was over and I finally got up. The number of shots go that high because in runway you have to shoot continuously as the girls are in motion and you need to have options when it comes to getting the cleanest stride.

Trend alert!! All white everything! White shirt on white pants in different cuts and fabrics were well represented in a lot of the showcases. The usual suspects; lace, chiffon and print were not left behind. I’ll do a comprehensive style write up once we are all done; I have a feeling that there will be some correlation with the ones in the past international fashion week shows.

Today featured Phunk Afrique, April by Kumbi, Sisiano, Weiz Dhurm, Soboye, Amede, Otumemine and a fantastic array of finalists including the absolutely fantastic Rayo! 


R       A     Y      O  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are reading this, I am so super proud! No wonder you were so calm when we talked the other day. You did so well and cannot wait to get a closer look at your amazing collection. Everyone was so impressed! Very clean and luxurious! 


Special shout out to the designer C  I  N  N  A  M  O  N  &  P  E  A  R  L  S  whose family I met outside the marquee. They were so sweet and friendly and their girl did so well.

Please enjoy some photos below! 



BACK     STAGE



Models chit chat 


Lola Maja of Sacred beauty for Maybelline




Ugo of Makeme for the hair 



Dimeji Alara

Tunde Alara (he makes really cool/cynical T shirts)





I love these guys! So different! 

The amazing duo of Omogemura Deola and Edwin 

OTUMEMINE









SISIANO








WEIRZ DHUM













APRIL BY KUMBI











THE DRESS THAT ENDED ALL DRESSES!! 

Makida Moka worked it! 


PHUNK AFRIQUE 









This was such a precious moment, Funke did her walk with this lil cutie in tow! 


ORENTE AYABA 










AMEDE 













SOBOYE 


















GOZEL GREEN




R         A       Y       O

















T   I      N A T H A N






SOME OTHER FINALISTS





No comments:

Post a Comment